Gillespie, Sons and Co Ltd
Gillespie, Sons & Co Ltd (Scottish Company No. 2854) was established with a proposed capitalisation of £50,000 (about £1.6m in today's money) to acquire the brewing and malting businesses of Gillespie, Sons & Co, which owned the Crown Brewery in Glasgow and the Crown Brewery in Dumbarton.
The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1908 with "the object of rearranging the capital, for family reasons", at which time its books showed that that there were no debts outstanding.
The company was still described as being in liquidation when Alexander Gillespie died in 1911, although "the circumstances of the company are in no way altered, and its business will be carried on as heretofore"; the process finally came to a conclusion in 1926.
The former partnership of Gillespie, Sons & Co appears to have been resurrected during the liquidation process, possibly to keep the brewing activities going while the restructuring was being undertaken.
The company trademark was a crown.
Amongst the beers produced by the firm was 90/- Pale Ale.
Breweries and other buildings
The Crown Brewery in Glasgow was designed by the well regarded brewery architect Peter Lyle Henderson.
The site is now occupied by a modern housing development.
The Crown Brewery in Dumbarton was originally known as the Dumbarton Brewery, and was occupied by Alexander Gillespie from around 1861.
The site has since been cleared, and is now used for car parking.
Other Sources of information
The National Records of Scotland holds dissolved company papers (Ref : BT2/2854) for the period 1895-1924.