Business: Guild and Co
The Thornbush Brewery was established by William Loban about 1833. Following William's death in 1847 it was briefly taken on by his son Francis William Loban, before being sold to the Thornbush Brewery Company in 1853 for £1,920.
One of the partners, George Black, became the principal partner around 1855 and was in charge until 1887, when the brewery was sold to the partnership of Guild & Wyllie. When that partnership was dissolved, James Lyon Guild carried on the business on his account, trading as Guild & Co. The brewery was put up for sale, and sold at auction in 1913 for £1,000.
It was extended several times from 1867 to 1895 to designs by local architects Alexander Ross and Robert John Macbeth, including a kiln and malthouse. Finally, a maltings was added in 1897 designed by the well-known brewery architect Peter Lyle Barclay Henderson.
It was described as being a "2-storey and attic, 2- by 8-bay rubble building, with 1- and 2-storey extensions".
Canmore has a number of records relating to the Thornbush Brewery. Last accessed 19th July 2016.
Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Thornbush Brewery. Last accessed 16th December, 2015.
Books and periodicals
Anon. Brewery and other property in Inverness for sale. Inverness Courier, 19th May, 1853.
Anon. The Thornbush Brewery. Inverness Advertiser, 14th June, 1853.
Anon. Public sale of the Thornbush Brewery and other valuable property in Inverness. Inverness Courier, 8th June, 1854.
Anon. Thornbush Brewery. Inverness Courier, 3rd June, 1869.