The Thornbush Brewery Company was formed in 1853 by three brothers - Andrew, George and James Black - when they acquired the Thornbush Brewery from Francis William Loban for £1920 (about £230,000 at today's prices).
The company offered the brewery for sale the following year as "the proprietors were about to leave the country" but, as it did not find a buyer, the partners decided that "the business will continue to be carried on as formerly".
George then took the lead role in the running of the brewery until 1887, when the business was sold to the partnership of Guild & Wyllie.
Amongst the beers produced by the company were: India Pale Ale, Rich Golden Ale and Thornbush Bitter Beer.
Active: 1853 - 1887
The Thornbush Brewery was located in Kessock Road, and was added to several times during its history. Most of the buildings still stand and are currently used by a plumbers' merchant.
Books and periodicals
Anon. The Thornbush Brewery. Inverness Courier, 23rd June, 1853.
Anon. The Thornbush Brewery Company's celebrated ales and beers. Inverness Courier, 30th March, 1854.
Anon. Public sale of the Thornbush Brewery and other valuable property in Inverness. Inverness Courier, 8th June, 1854.