John Carmichael first learnt his trade in Alloa and then appears to have taken up positions in Haddingtonshire and Kirkcudbrightshire. From at least 1861 he was working at the Stirling Brewery of Peter Burden. In 1872 he acquired the Feus Brewery, which had been previously leased by James Christie, and established the partnership of John Carmichael & Co.
After John died in 1893, the partnership continued until 1895, at which time the sole partners were his sons James, Robert and John Carmichael. The business was then carried on by the new partnership of Carmichael & Co.
Active: 1872 - 1895
The Feus Brewery consisted of a group of linked buildings arranged around three sides of a courtyard. The site has since been cleared and is awaiting development.