James Simson & Sons was formed to carry on the business established by James Simson, after he died in 1874. His sons James and Alexander Tudhope Simson focused their energies on the breweries in Edinburgh (St Mary's Brewery) and Melrose (Abbey Brewery) respectively. In 1896 the business merged with whisky blenders James Ewan McPherson & Co, to form Simson & McPherson Ltd.
Active: 1874 - 1896
The Abbey Brewery incorporated some structures which may have dated to the mediaeval period. The buildings were donated to the nation in 1950 to allow for improvements to the environs of the Abbey, and most of those that survive have been converted to residential properties.
The St Mary's Brewery was built on land which has been developed by the University of Edinburgh.