St Mary's Brewery
Business: Simson and McPherson Ltd
The St Mary's Brewery was built by James Simson in 1864 when he expanded his business in Melrose to incorporate a new site in Edinburgh. When James died in 1874, the breweries passed into the hands of his sons James and Alexander Tudhope Simson, who traded as James Simson & Sons. The St Mary's Brewery was managed by James, and was considered to be better suited for the brewing of ales.
In 1896 James Simson & Sons merged with James Ewan McPherson & Co to form Simson & McPherson Ltd. Four years later, in 1900, the Newcastle-upon-Tyne business of Robert Deuchar Ltd bought almost all the company's shares. However, the previous year Deuchar's had also bought the newly built Duddingston Brewery in Craigmillar, and the elderly St Mary's Brewery became surplus to requirements. Brewing ceased in 1901, but the buildings continued in use as a maltings until 1967.