Samuel Halket operated from the North Back of the Canongate from 1809, when he took on the premises which had probably been occupied by Alexander Law. He was in partnership with his brother David, trading as Samuel and David Halket, from 1810 to 1814, and then appears to have continued the business on his own account until 1817, when he was declared bankrupt and his brewery utensils were offered for sale. David Halket took on the business in about 1821.
Active: 1809 - 1820
Breweries and other buildings
What became known as the Edinburgh Brewery was based upon a group of buildings arranged around an oblong courtyard, some of which were reputed to date back to the 15th century. The site was acquired, and cleared, by the North British Railway Company in 1903 to allow Waverley Station to be expanded.
We do not currently hold any images of items related to Samuel Halket, and would welcome any information or images related to his business.