Alexander Law was briefly based in the North Back of the Canongate from about 1808, when he leased premises from William Murison. However, in 1809 he moved to Yardheads in Leith, where he was still recorded as a brewer in 1832. The premises in the Canongate were probably taken on by Samuel Halket.
Active: 1808 - 1809
Breweries and other buildings
What became known as the Edinburgh Brewery was based upon a group of buildings arranged around an oblong courtyard, some of which were reputed to date back to the 15th century. The site was acquired, and cleared, by the North British Railway Company in 1903 to allow Waverley Station to be expanded.
We do not currently hold any images of items related to Alexander Law, and would welcome any information or images related to his business.
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
Anon. Sale of a most eligible brewery, dwelling-house and appurtenances. Caledonian Mercury, 12th March, 1808.