William Murison, or Morrison, was based in the North Back of the Canongate from at least 1803, and was also recorded as a brewer in Dalkeith from at least 1794. It is probable that he took on the premises which had been occupied by Patrick Murison.
He submitted plans to the Dean of Guild Court for alterations to the premises in 1805 but put the brewery and associated dwelling house up for sale in 1807, when it was described as being 193 feet in length and 64 feet in depth. The premises were then probably taken on by Alexander Law.
Active: 1803 - 1807
Breweries and other buildings
What became known as the Edinburgh Brewery was based upon a group of buildings arranged around an oblong courtyard, some of which were reputed to date back to the 15th century. The site was acquired, and cleared, by the North British Railway Company in 1903 to allow Waverley Station to be expanded.
We do not currently hold any images of items related to William Murison, and would welcome any information or images related to his business.
Other Sources of information
Rock, J. Annotated catalogue of the Edinburgh Dean of Guild Court, Architectural plans. Last accessed 8th May, 2017.
The National Records of Scotland holds William Murison's day books, waste books, and ledgers for the period 1794-1807 (Ref : CS96).
Books and periodicals
Anon. Adjourned sale of brewery, dwelling-house and appurtenances. Caledonian Mercury, 1st August, 1807.