David Ballingall probably acquired the Leven Brewery from the estate of John Fowlis. He was listed as brewer in Back Street in 1825, but was declared bankrupt the same year. The Leven Brewery was offered for sale in 1826 when it was stated that the business had been "carried on for many years" and that "there is no other brewery in this populous district".
Thomas Ballingall continued the brewing business, along with the associated bakery.
Active: 1810s - 1820s
The Leven Brewery was located on the junction of what is now North Street (formerly Back Street) and Brewery Wynd. Part of the brewery survives as a meeting hall for the British Legion.
Books and periodicals