James Harvey, a local merchant, acquired the Sacell Brewery from Adam Pattison in 1780. He then formed a partnership with Robert Cowan, James Gordon, James Hopkirk, Peter Murdoch and James Warroch, all of whom had been previously associated with the Anderston Brewery Company in Glasgow. In 1801 the business was then taken on by a new partnership, James Chep & Co, which involved James Harvey's son, also James.
Active: 1780 - 1801
Breweries and other buildings
The Sacell Brewery was in operation from at least the 1770s, and was gradually expanded into "a 3-storey, 13-bay block, probably originally maltings, with 2 kilns". The buildings were eventually used as bonded warehouses by the Distillers Company Ltd, and as an office block by Millen Brothers, shipbuilders. The area has since been cleared and is part of a development of modern housing.
We do not currently hold any images of items related to James Harvey, and would welcome any information or images related to his business.
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
Clark, S. Brewing and breweries in Paisley. Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter, 15, 1989, pp.12-13.