Thomas Robertson took over the Bathgate Brewery in Chapel Lane in 1856, after it was put up for sale by Mr M. Wallace. He ran the business there until 1866, when he relocated to Engine Street into premises leased to him by Henry Robertson.
Although Thomas was recorded as the occupier of the buildings until 1874, he does not appear to have operated the brewery after 1867.
Amongst the beers produced by Thomas were Mild Ales and Pale India Ales.
Active: 1856 - 1867
The original Bathgate Brewery was established in the old tanworks in Chapel Lane. After its sale in the late 1860s it became the site of the West Lothian Flint Glassworks. Following a fire in 1924, the site was cleared for housing and new commercial buildings.
The new Bathgate Brewery lay "in the court opening to the south of the house tenanted by Mr Dodds, writer" placing it just to the north of the Royal Commercial Hotel.
Books and periodicals
Sprightly, S. Rambles round Bathgate: Ramble XXII - Buildings. The West Lothian Courier, 17th August, 1878.