John Neave & Sons Ltd was registered in 1899 (Scottish Company No. 4120), with a proposed capitalisation of £10,000 (just over £1m in today's money) to take on the business of M. D. Wills, including the Victoria Brewery and the Ladywell Tavern.
The company did not thrive, however, and the business was offered for sale in 1908. The following year it went into voluntary liquidation, and it was finally wound up in 1911.
Amongst the beers produced by the firm was Empire Bitter Ale.
Active: 1899 - 1911
The buildings have been converted to a mix of commercial and residential properties, and were given listed building status in 1993.
The National Records of Scotland holds dissolved company papers (Ref : BT2/4120) for the period 1899-1902.
The University of Glasgow Archive Services holds papers in its Scottish Brewing Archive from 1890-1909 (Ref : JNS)
Nine Incorporated Trades of Dundee. Victoria Road property. Last accessed 28/10/2015.
Books and periodicals
Alexander, John. Dundee breweries. Broughty Ferry: John Alexander, 2008.