Nungate Brewery (Old)
Business: Alexander Howden
The Nungate Brewery on Bridge Street was established by the Howden family in 1806. Alexander Howden ran the brewery until he died in 1811, and it was then taken on by his son, Alexander (Sandy) Howden. Sandy brewed there until at least 1841 along with his brother David (1808-1835), and extended the complex by building a malthouse on the opposite side of the road.
By 1851 the complex had been leased by John Walker and was described as "a small building used as a brewery in good repair with kiln and the necessary offices attached". The brewery then passed into the hands of the Muat family in about 1856 and was leased by James Richardson after John Walker died in 1859. James bought the brewery in 1862 when it was offered for sale as "consisting of brew-house, dwelling-house, and others on one side of the road, and a kiln, granary, and malt barn on the other side of it".
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
Anon. All and whole these subjects in the Nungate of Haddington, belonging to Alexander Howden's heirs. Edinburgh Evening Courant, 22nd March 1862.