Newton Stewart Brewery
Business: South-Western Brewery Co Ltd
Location: Newton Stewart
The Newton Stewart Brewery was established in the 1790s by David Maclaurin. It then passed through the hands of his son James, and from him to a second son Ludovic. When Ludovic offered it to let it in 1854 it was described as having been "established for upwards of sixty years" and as having "been recently fitted up with new coppers, coolers, tuns, etc.," with "a substantial and commodious dwelling-house".
The brewery was acquired by Bryce Wright in about 1855, and was offered for sale in 1880 for £1,825. It was then acquired by William Thomas Solomon, who had been the tenant since the 1860s. William built up an extensive drinks business which traded as W. T. Solomon & Co, and which included twelve public houses and three others that were leased. His business was acquired by the South-Western Brewery Co Ltd in 1898 for £30,000. By the 1920s the business was in financial difficulties and was bought by the Edinburgh brewing firm of Archibald Campbell, Hope and King Ltd. Brewing ceased at that point, and the buildings were used as a depot for Archibald Campbell, Hope and King's trade in the south-west of Scotland until 1971 when the company was taken over, in turn, by Whitbread & Co Ltd, of London.
Other Sources of information
Books and Journals
Anon. Brewery to let. Glasgow Herald, 22nd September, 1854.
Anon. Bryce Wright's Brewery, at Newton-Stewart. Glasgow Herald, 3rd January, 1880.
McMaster, C. Scotland's forgotten breweries: South-Western Brewery Company Limited, the Newton Stewart Brewery. SBA Newsletter, 14, 1989, pp.14-15.