The partnership of James Brown & Co was formed in 1877 by James Storrar Brown, John Campbell and a Mr Robertson, and succeeded Gowans & Brown in the management of the Kilmarnock Brewery. James's father was one of the partners in J & G Brown who ran the MacDuff Brewery in East Wemyss and the Leven Brewery.
Various members of the Brown family joined the company over the years until it ceased trading in about 1912.
Active: 1877 - 1912
The Kilmarnock Brewery is believed to have been established in about 1780 by Thomas Greenshields, who also owned the Catrine Brewery. It passed through the hands of numerous partnerships until it finally closed in 1912. The site has since been cleared and is occupied by a mix of housing, offices, and commercial buildings.
Hume, J. R. The industrial archaeology of Scotland. 1: The Lowlands and Borders. London: B. T. Batsford, 1976.
Smellie, T. Sketches of old Kilmarnock. Kilmarnock, Thomas Smellie, 1898.