Business: J and G Brown
Location: East Wemyss
The MacDuff Brewery is probably the "considerable brewery" which was recorded in the First Statistical Account of Scotland in 1745. It came into the hands of the Edington family in the 1800s and was operated by James Edington senior until 1825, and then by his son James until about 1847, when it was offered to let. At that time it was described as consisting of a "brew-house, cellarage, malting premises, kiln, stabling, cart sheds … dwelling-house" and "separate from these only by the public road … a large thrashing barn, with thrashing and malt mills … stabling and byres". By 1851 the brewery had been leased by J. & G. Brown, who eventually acquired it.
The brewery was offered for sale in 1926 and was acquired, along with eight public houses, by William Murray & Co Ltd of Edinburgh for £2,000. The brewery, which was then also referred to as the Wemyss Brewery, was then used by Murray's as its Fife depot and bottling store.
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
McMaster, C. Brewing in Fife: the McDuff brewery, East Wemyss. Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter, 19, 1991, pp.7-9.