Lawrence Lyall acquired the Ladywell Brewery from Mary Richards in 1855, having previously operated the Leven Brewery as one of the partners in Scott & Lyall. He ran the brewery until about 1881, when it was leased by Thomas Millar. Lawrence died in 1896 at the age of 75.
Amongst the beers produced at the brewery were Sweet Ale and Porter.
Active: 1855 - 1889
The Ladywell Brewery stretched north from the High Street, on a long piece of land, towards New Street. Most of the site has been cleared for a modern housing development, but the company offices survive on the High Street, converted to private residences.
Books and periodicals
Lawrie, J. Honesty brewing: a history of the breweries, maltings and distilleries of Musselburgh and Fisherrow. Kennoway: Spiderwize, 2009.