Business: John Young and Co Ltd
The Ladywell Brewery was built on a long strip of land that ran north from the High Street to New Street. The complex was gradually extended to include a maltings, bottling hall and cooperage.
Lawrence Lyall acquired the brewery in 1855, having previously been involved with the Leven Brewery as one of the partners in Scott & Lyall. By 1882 the Ladywell Brewery had been leased to Thomas Millar, but in 1885 he stated in a submission to the Musselburgh Valuation Appeal Court that "the brewery was vacant and dismantled" and that he was not using it.
The brewery was then taken on by John Young & Co in 1886, and passed into the hands of John Young & Co Ltd in 1891. Brewing ceased at the Ladywell Brewery in 1968, and it closed with the takeover of John Young & Co Ltd by Whitbread and Co Ltd that same year.
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
Lawrie, J. Honesty brewing: a history of the breweries, maltings and distilleries of Musselburgh and Fisherrow. Kennoway: Spiderwize, 2009.