Robert McNicol had taken on the running of the Broad Street Brewery from his father-in-law, James Burden, by 1861. He was recorded as employing four men in 1861, five men in 1871, and three men in 1881. He sold the business to George Walker Duncan, a brewer from Tullibody, in 1893.
Active: 1861 - 1893
The building that housed the Broad Street Brewery is believed to have dated from 1529, and stood next to what was Stirling Town and County Buildings. By the end of the nineteenth century it had become somewhat dilapidated and part of the building collapsed in 1904. It was acquired shortly after by the Town of Stirling and was eventually redeveloped as part of a council housing complex in the 1950s.
Books and periodicals
Burns, E. Ale in Stirling: a celebration. Stirling: Jamieson & Munro, 2004.