The business passed to James Young junior in 1854 when his father, James senior, retired. In 1861 he employed thirteen men, one woman, and one boy. However James senior briefly returned to the business when James junior died in 1870 at the relatively young age of 47.
When James senior died in 1872 the business was carried on by James Leslie, who had started as the brewery clerk, and James Bennet, his grandson.
By 1898 James Bennet was the sole proprietor, and remained so until the brewery was bought by the town in 1912.
Among the beers produced by the brewery was India Pale Ale.
The original Elgin Brewery consisted of about half a dozen buildings arranged around a central courtyard, and lay to the east of Elgin Cathedral. It was gradually extended until 1898 when a fire caused extensive damage.
The brewery was rebuilt but was bought by the town in 1912 and demolished to improve the view of Elgin Cathedral.
Books and periodicals
Young, R. Annals of the parish and burgh of Elgin: from the twelfth century to the year 1876, with some historical and other notices illustrative of the subject. Elgin: Robert Young, 1879.