The copartnery of Robertson, Brander, Ritchie & Co was established by local businessmen in 1784 to set up a brewery close to Elgin Cathedral on land known as the Petty Manse.
The partners were: Alexander Brander, George Brown, John Ritchie, William Robertson, Peter Rose Watson, and William Young. The capital of the company was £1,000, with a £500 cash account. William Robertson was appointed as the brewery manager.
By 1803 the business had been sold to Alexander Young.
Active: 1784 - 1800s
The original Elgin Brewery consisted of about half a dozen buildings arranged around a central courtyard, and lay to the east of Elgin Cathedral.
Books and periodicals
Young, R. Annals of the parish and burgh of Elgin: from the twelfth century to the year 1876, with some historical and other notices illustrative of the subject. Elgin: Robert Young, 1879.