R and D Sharp
In 1830 Robert and Daniel Sharp succeeded to the business established by their father James Sharp at the Blackford Brewery, and formed the partnership of R. & D. Sharp, which built a strong reputation for its high quality ales.
When Robert died in 1865 his widow Lillias took on his role in the partnership, and eventually their sons James and Daniel also became partners. However, by 1875 Lillias Sharp was the sole remaining partner.
In 1884 the business became incorporated as R. & D. Sharp Ltd (Scottish Company No. 1361), by which time it was jointly owned by John Stewart, the general manager, and Alexander Ferguson, who was the brewery's agent in Glasgow.
Active: 1830 - 1884
Breweries and other buildings
Parts of the Blackford Brewery dated back to 1610, and it is believed that brewing had taken place on the site over a hundred years before that.
The brewery was extensively modernised in 1888-1889 and occupied over two acres of land. It had a 15-quarter plant and around 400 barrels were produced per week including stout, table beer and pale ale.
The brewery was demolished in 1930, with the only surviving part being the office, which was taken on as a private house by a Mrs Scobie.
We do not currently hold any images of items related to R. & D. Sharp, and would welcome any information or images related to the company.
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
Barnard, A. The noted breweries of Great Britain and Ireland. London: Joseph Causton, 1889.
Gibb, F. and Sangster, A. The brewers and breweries of Blackford, Perthshire. Brewing History, 2015, 161, pp.10-29.
McMaster, C. The breweries of Blackford. Scottish Brewing Association Newsletter, 1986, 7, pp.7-12.