Peter Burden Ltd (Scottish Company No. 13687) was formed in 1925 to take on the business of Peter Burden, which had been operated by a Board of Trustees since Peter's death in 1892.
The directors were Peter Dalgleish Burden, William Eadie, James Eadie, J. H. Taylor, John Gillespie, and A. Burt.
The business was voluntarily wound up on the 19th of December 1931 at an Extraordinary General Meeting held at the offices of T. J. Y. Brown, a local solicitor.
The key reasons given in a contemporary newspaper account were the slackness in trade, and the increase in beer tax. Seven employees lost their jobs and a long tradition of brewing in Stirling came to an end.
The brewery buildings and site were offered for sale in 1932, and most of the site was eventually cleared for housing.
Active: 1925 - 1931
The Stirling Brewery was founded in 1795 at the rear of the Black Bull Inn on St Mary’s Wynd.
Most of the site is now occupied by modern housing, but a malt house and kiln still survive, and are now used as a scout troop hall.
The National Records of Scotland holds dissolved company papers (Ref : BT2/13687) for the period 1925-1932.
Books and periodicals
Burns, E. Ale in Stirling: a celebration. Stirling: Jamieson & Munro, 2004.