The firm of George Paxton & Sons was formed in 1846 when George Paxton, who had previously run the business on his own account, took his sons George and James into partnership.
The quality of their beers was highlighted in a contemporary article on Kilmarnock: "Paxton's double and triple X is known and quaffed with gusto through the length and breadth of the land".
The partnership ceased trading in about 1902.
Active: 1846 - 1902
The Richardland Brewery was established in 1803 in premises that were probably built for for William Wallace & Co, a local whisky agent and blender. The brewing business was taken on by George Paxton after the partnership was dissolved in 1811. The buildings fell into disuse when the business ceased trading and were later used as a skinworks. The buildings have been demolished and the bulk of the site is occupied by a modern factory.
Books and periodicals