George Bell Brown carried on the brewing business at 71 North Back of Canongate that had traded as J. & G. Brown, following his brother John's death in 1823. In 1838 he went into partnership with Henry Raeburn junior, the son of the famous painter Sir Henry Raeburn, trading as Brown and Raeburn.
Active: 1823 - 1838
What became known as the Edinburgh Brewery was based upon a group of buildings arranged around an oblong courtyard, some of which were reputed to date back to the 15th century. The site was acquired, and cleared, by the North British Railway Company in 1903 to allow Waverley Station to be expanded.