William Whitelaw & Son Ltd was established (Scottish Company No. 15541) to acquire the existing businesses of William Whitelaw & Son, and Sykes & Co, their Glasgow agents. The authorised capital was £25,000 in £1 shares.
One of the shareholders was James Holmes Taylor, who in 1939 offered Whitelaw's trade to the Edinburgh firm of Archibald Campbell, Hope & King Ltd, in exchange for a seat on their board. The offer was accepted, the company was put into voluntary liquidation, and the Fisherrow Brewery was closed.
Active: 1929 - 1939
The Fisherrow Brewery was situated on the east side of Fisher's Wynd and grew from a brewhouse, malt barns and stables, arranged around a cobbled yard, to a large complex that extended from the High Street to New Street. The site is now mainly occupied by a post-war housing development.
The National Records of Scotland holds dissolved company papers (Ref : BT2/15541).
Books and periodicals
Lawrie, J. Honesty brewing: a history of the breweries, maltings and distilleries of Musselburgh and Fisherrow. Kennoway: Spiderwize, 2009.