Alexander Vernor inherited what became known as the Fisherrow Brewery in 1809 from his father Robert. However, his main business interests were in farming, and he offered the brewery to let in 1820. The lease was taken up by an established brewer from Edinburgh, David Whitelaw, who put his son William in charge of the business.
Active: 1809 - 1820
The Fisherrow Brewery was situated on the east side of Fisher's Wynd and grew from a brewhouse, malt barns and stables, arranged around a cobbled yard, to a large complex that extended from the High Street to New Street. The site is now mainly occupied by a post-war housing development.
Books and periodicals
Lawrie, J. Honesty brewing: a history of the breweries, maltings and distilleries of Musselburgh and Fisherrow. Kennoway: Spiderwize, 2009.