Business: John Smith
The Wallacetown Brewery, also referred to as the Cross Street Brewery, was established by John Smith in 1840 in partnership with his brother Robert. The partnership was dissolved in 1852 and John continued the business on his own account until failing health forced him to retire.
The brewery, and associated malt-barn and malt and hop stores, was offered for sale in 1884 when it was described as having been "specially built by the exposer [John Smith] for brewery purposes". It had a "frontage of 59 feet to one street and 92 feet to another (with a shop fronting Garden Street)", which places it at the junction of Garden Street and Cross Street (directories use both addresses).
In 1890 it was acquired by the Ayr Mineral Water Company Ltd.
Sadly we do not have a picture of the Wallacetown Brewery. Please contact us if you have one!
Books and periodicals
Anon. Brewery at Ayr for sale … long conducted under the name of the Wallacetown Brewery. Glasgow Herald, 11th January, 1884.