Business: Thomson, Marshall and Co Ltd
The Aulton Brewery was originally known as the Old Town Brewery and was located in the High Street in Old Aberdeen, next door to King's College.
It was founded around 1790 by Smith, Irvine & Co and was renamed the Aulton Brewery in 1890, when Thomson, Marshall & Co Ltd was established to carry on the business of the previous owners, Thomson, Marshall & Co.
At that point the brewery was described as having been largely rebuilt and extended in the 1880s. An artesian well had also been sunk "at considerable cost, giving a superabundant supply of water, excellent in quality".
By 1913 much of the site had already been demolished in order to provide space for the New King's Building.
However, a small part of the brewery complex still survives on what is now the campus of the University of Aberdeen.
Canmore has a record relating to the Aulton Brewery. Last accessed 19th July 2016.
Books and periodicals
Anon. Extensive brewery for sale. Glasgow Herald, 15th June 1861.
Anon. Brewers to Her Majesty the Queen and HRH Prince of Wales. Thomson, Marshall & Co Limited. Dundee Courier, 15th February 1890.