Business: John Aitchison and Co Ltd
The Canongate Brewery was established by William Aitchison, of Aitchison & Co, who moved his brewing operations there from the Kerfield Brewery in Peebles in 1828. A new partnership, John Aitchison & Co, was established to run the brewery, which was extended and improved over time. It eventually became part of John Aitchison & Co Ltd, which was established in 1895.
Brewing ceased in 1961 after the company had been taken over by Hammond United Breweries Ltd of Bradford. The site was cleared in the 1960s, and is now occupied by a development belonging to the University of Edinburgh.
The National Library of Scotland has a film which includes a short sequence featuring the Canongate Brewery.