Charles Guthrie (c.1818-1891) was the last of a long line of brewers who attempted to make a going concern of the Fort Brewery. He took on the lease in 1864, advertising his ales and porter for sale at the brewery or the brewery store in the High Street. Charles was declared bankrupt in 1866 and the remaining portion of the lease was offered for sale. He then probably became a partner in Guthrie & Maclean, which occupied the Kingston Brewery in Glasgow.
Active: 1864 - 1866
The Fort Brewery was located in the Citadel erected by Oliver Cromwell in 1657, and dates back to 1734. The only building to survive is the former brewery house.
Books and periodicals