Nungate Brewery (New)
Business: Mark Binnie and Co
The Nungate Brewery was built by Mark Binnie & Co, and started production in 1882. It was built on land adjacent to the former Nungate Distillery, by then a tannery, next to the River Tweed.
The brewery was initially known as the New Nungate Brewery to distinguish it from the earlier, and recently closed, Nungate Brewery that had operated in Bridge Street. A newspaper report described the brewery as "a substantial three storey structure equipped with the most modern machinery", which was capable of producing 200 hundred barrels per week. The 'modern machinery' included Morton's patent refrigerators and a five horse power Otto gas-engine, which pumped water from a well sunk on the site and powered most of the other machinery in the brewery.
After the brewery closed the premises were acquired by Burns Coulston Ltd, who owned the neighbouring tannery.
Other Sources of information
Books and Periodicals
McMaster, C. Scotland's forgotten breweries. Mark Binnie & Co.: the Nungate Brewery, Haddington, East Lothian. Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter, 1988, 12, pp.8-9