Castle Brewery

Business: Maclachlans Ltd

Location: Edinburgh

Type: Brewery

The Castle Brewery was commissioned in 1900 by G. & J. Maclachlan to replace the Castle Brewery in Glagow, which had become too small to cope with demand.

The brewery was completed in 1901, and Duncan Forbes, George Maclachlan’s brother-in-law, was appointed the manager.

The brewery closed in 1966, following the takeover of Maclachlans Ltd in 1960 by J. & R. Tennent Ltd.

Map of 1906 showing the layout of the Castle Brewery
© National Library of Scotland, 2015

Active: 1901 - 1966

Address: Duddingston Road

Status: Demolished

Then

Castle Brewery
A view of the Castle Brewery in the 1960s
© John Hume, 2015

Now

The site of the former brewery is now occupied by a development of residential property.

Other Sources of information

Other sources of information

Dean, P. Maclachlan’s Castle Ales. Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter, 1995, 26, pp.12-13.

G & J Machlachlan. The rise and progress of G & J Maclachlan, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Belfast and London. Glasgow: G & J Maclachlan, 1905.