Smith, Irvine and Co
Relatively little is known about Smith, Irvine & Co. The partnership was formed around 1790, and operated from the Old Town Brewery in Old Aberdeen.
The business was offered for sale in 1861, following the death of the last of the partners, and was eventually acquired by Thomson, Marshall & Co in 1863.
Active: 1790s - 1863
Breweries and other buildings
The Old Town Brewery was located in the High Street in Old Aberdeen, near to King's College, and was founded by Smith, Irvine & Co about 1790.
In 1811 the brewery was described as producing 2,000 barrels of porter and strong ale, and 1,500 barrels of table beer, each year.
A small part of the brewery complex still survives on what is now the campus of the University of Aberdeen.
We do not currently hold any images of items related to James Watson & Son, and would welcome any other information or images related to the company.
Other Sources of information
The National Records of Scotland holds papers relating to the company from the Court of Session.
Books and periodicals
Anon. Extensive brewery for sale. Glasgow Herald, 15th June 1861.
Thom, W. The history of Aberdeen. Volume 2. Aberdeen: Alex Stevenson, 1811.