Patrick Murison was based in the North Back of the Canongate from at least 1794. He died in 1800 and his brewing utensils, which included "a copper, mash-tun, under-back, coolers, fermenting tuns … and casks of various kinds", were offered for sale the same year, along with a quantity of malt. The premises were then probably taken on by William Murison.
Active: 1794 - 1800
Breweries and other buildings
What became known as the Edinburgh Brewery was based upon a group of buildings arranged around an oblong courtyard, some of which were reputed to date back to the 15th century. The site was acquired, and cleared, by the North British Railway Company in 1903 to allow Waverley Station to be expanded.
We do not currently hold any images of items related to Patrick Murison, and would welcome any information or images related to his business.
Other Sources of information
The National Records of Scotland holds Patrick Murison's cash books, day books, waste books, and ledgers for the period 1785-1800 (Ref : CS96).
Books and periodicals
Anon. Brewing utensils, etc., for sale. Caledonian Mercury, 7th June, 1800.