John Young and Co
John Young had been a brewer in Peterhead before moving to Fisherrow. He initially worked for William Whitelaw & Son, but established John Young & Co to take on the Ladywell Brewery in 1886, following the death of the tenant, Thomas Millar. John Young & Co registered a trademark in 1886 which consisted of a large letter 'Y' with '&' and 'Co' on either side.
Breweries and other buildings
The Ladywell Brewery stretched north from the High Street, on a long piece of land, to New Street. Most of the site has been cleared for a modern housing development, but the company offices survive on the High Street, converted to private residences.
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
Burns, E. Scottish brewery trade marks, 1876 to 1900. Glasgow: Tartan Hippo, 1986.
Lawrie, J. Honesty brewing: a history of the breweries, maltings and distilleries of Musselburgh and Fisherrow. Kennoway: Spiderwize, 2009.