William Key

William Key took over the running of the Anstruther and Crail Breweries in 1874, following the death of his brother, John Melville Key. He continued to run the Crail Brewery under the partnership of James Key & Son, but ran the Anstruther Brewery under his own name.

The trademark of the business was a key on a background of barley.

When he retired in 1905 he sold off the Anstruther Brewery and associated aerated water interests, and handed over management of the Crail Brewery to his brother, Thomas.

Amongst the beers produced by the brewery was Double Brown Stout.

Trademark of William Key
Trademark of William Key
© Forbes Gibb, 2016

Location: Anstruther

Active: 1874 - 1905

Status: Closed

Breweries and other buildings

The Crail Brewery was situated on the High Street and consisted of a group of buildings organised around a courtyard.

The Anstruther Brewery was on Burial Brae, and consisted of a group of buildings organised around a courtyard.

Objects


We only have one image related to William Key, and would welcome any other information or images related to his business.

Location
Map of 1893 showing the layout of the Anstruther Brewery
© National Library of Scotland, 2016

Other Sources of information

Books and periodicals

Gibb, F. The brewers and breweries of Fife. Stirling: Lomax Press, 2012.