James Grant took on the Nairn Brewery in 1863, after George Hayward, and, having secured "an experienced brewer from one of the first breweries in Aberdeen", offered ale, porter and beer to the public.
In one of the rummier newspaper reports he was recorded as having offered a cask of his best ale for an egg competition at a carbine shooting event.
He left to work in Bangor in 1868, and the brewery was then taken on by Hugh Ross, who had been one of his employees.
Active: 1863 - 1868
Breweries and other buildings
The Nairn Brewery consisted of a small group of buildings on Mill Road, organised around a central courtyard. The brewery was destroyed by fire in 1903 and most of the ground has since been landscaped.
We do not currently hold any images of items related to James Grant, and would welcome any information or images related to his business.