Sacell Brewery Company
The Sacell Brewery Company was formed around 1829 by Andrew Brown, Edward Blair Buchanan, James Chep, James Harvey and James Watt, to take on the business which had traded under the name of James Chep & Co. There were numerous changes to the partnership over the years, and by 1902 the two remaining partners were Archibald Forrest Graham and Alexander Millar.
Amongst the beers produced by the company were: Harvey's Sparkling Scotch Ale, Harvey's Superior Pale Ale, XXX, and Stout.
Active: 1820s - 1900s
Breweries and other buildings
The Sacell Brewery was in operation from at least the 1770s, and was gradually expanded into "a 3-storey, 13-bay block, probably originally maltings, with 2 kilns". The buildings were eventually used as bonded warehouses by the Distillers Company Ltd, and as an office block by Millen Brothers, shipbuilders. The area has since been cleared and is part of a development of modern housing.
Other Sources of information
The National Archives records a privately held collection of journals, cash book and plans (Ref: NRA(S)0576) for the period 1810-1921.
The National Records of Scotland holds papers relating to a court case between Janes Cochrane, or Allison, and the Sacell Brewery Company in 1862 (Ref : CS97/C/4/10).
Books and periodicals
Clark, S. Brewing and breweries in Paisley. Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter, 15, 1989, pp.12-13.