Simson and McPherson Ltd
Simson & McPherson Ltd was established in 1896 (Company No. 46776) to acquire the brewing business of James Simson & Sons and the whisky blending business of John Ewan McPherson & Co. In 1900 virtually all the shares were bought by Robert Deuchar Ltd of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Brewing ceased at the St Mary's Brewery in 1901, and at the Abbey Brewery in 1906. The company was subsequently used as a vehicle to manage Deuchar's licensed premises, and was dissolved in 1961.
Active: 1896 - 1961
Breweries and other buildings
The Abbey Brewery incorporated some structures which may have dated to the mediaeval period. The buildings were donated to the nation in 1950 to allow for improvements to the environs of the Abbey, and most of those that survive have been converted to residential properties.
The St Mary's Brewery was built on land which has been developed by the University of Edinburgh.
We do not currently hold any images of items related to Simson & McPherson Ltd, and would welcome any information or images related to the company.
Other Sources of information
The National Archives holds company papers for Simson & McPherson Ltd (Ref : BT 31/38231/46776) for the period 1896-1961.