David Cameron

David Cameron took on the Laurencekirk Brewery in 1884 when James Donald, his partner in Donald, Cameron & Co, died.

His business survived until 1944, a remarkable achievement given that almost all other Scottish country brewers had folded by the end of the First World War.

David died in 1944 and the business was converted into David Cameron Ltd in 1945.

The trademark consisted of two shields, with a bushel of barley on one, and a "dexter arm embowed in armour, the hand grasping a sword" on the other (this was the old Clan Cameron crest).

Amongst the beers produced by the company were Imperial Stout, India Pale Ale and Table Beer.

Trademark of David Cameron
Trademark of David Cameron
© Neil Lawrence, 2015

Location: Laurencekirk

Active: 1884 - 1944

Status: Converted

Breweries and other buildings

The Laurencekirk Brewery was adjacent to the Royal Hotel. Much of the site has been cleared for car-parking but some outbuildings survive.

Objects


We have a number of images related to David Cameron, but would welcome any other information or images linked to his business.

Location
Map of 1901 showing the Laurencekirk Brewery
© National Library of Scotland, 2015