Gillespie, Sons and Co (Brewers) Ltd

Gillespie, Sons & Co (Brewers) Ltd (Scottish Company No 22963) was established in 1944 to acquire the business of Gillespie, Sons & Co which operated the Crown Brewery in Dumbarton.

By 1952 the company had been forced into a winding up process by three local firms and a printer from Rochdale. The liquidation of the firm was, however, a long-drawn-out affair, with a new liquidator being appointed in 1971, who was still carrying out his duties in 1977.

The company trademark was a depiction of Dumbarton Castle.

Amongst the beers produced by the firm were: Brown Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale, and Strong Ale.

Trademark of Gillespie, Sons & Co (Brewers) Ltd
Trademark of Gillespie, Sons & Co (Brewers) Ltd
© Neil Lawrence, 2015

Location: Dumbarton

Active: 1944 - 1977

Status: Dissolved

Breweries and other buildings

The Crown Brewery in Dumbarton was originally known as the Dumbarton Brewery, and was occupied by Alexander Gillespie from about 1861.

The site has since been cleared, and is now used for car parking.

Objects


We have a number of images related to Gillespie, Sons & Co (Brewers) Ltd, but would welcome any other information or images linked to the company.

Location
Map of 1937 showing the Crown Brewery
© National Library of Scotland, 2015

Other Sources of information

Books and periodicals

Bell, B. Reminiscences of Gillespie's brewery, Dumbarton. Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter, 9, 1987, pp.13-14.