Gillespie, Sons and Co

The partnership of Gillespie, Sons & Co was formed in 1889 by Alexander Gillespie and his son James, following the dissolution of Gillespie, Gray & Co.

The company had two breweries: the Crown Brewery in Slatefield Street, Glasgow, and the Crown Brewery in Brewery Lane, Dumbarton, with production being concentrated at the Glasgow site.

The company's trademark was a crown.

Amongst the beers produced by the firm were: Nut Brown Ale, Pale Ale, and Sparkling Pale Ale.

The business interests of the company were acquired through the incorporation of Gillespie, Sons & Co Ltd in 1895.

Trademark of Gillespie, Sons & Co
Trademark of Gillespie, Sons & Co
© Neil Lawrence, 2015

Location: Glasgow

Active: 1889 - 1895

Status: Converted

Breweries and other buildings

The Crown Brewery in Glasgow was designed by the well regarded brewery architect Peter Lyle Henderson.

The site is now occupied by a modern housing development.

The Crown Brewery in Dumbarton was originally known as the Dumbarton Brewery, and was occupied by Alexander Gillespie from around 1861.

The site has since been cleared, and is now  used for car parking.

Objects


We have a couple of images related to Gillespie Sons & Co, but would welcome any other information or images linked to the company.

Location
Map of 1892 showing the Crown Brewery in Glasgow
© National Library of Scotland, 2015