D S Ireland

David Stevenson Ireland took over the running of the Argyle Brewery when his father Rea died in 1860.

In 1861 he married into the Bonthrone family, who were noted distillers and brewers in Fife.

He died in 1890 and the brewery was then bought by a "syndicate of Edinburgh gentlemen" who established D. S. Ireland Ltd in 1892.

Location: St Andrews

Active: 1860 - 1890

Status: Acquired

Breweries and other buildings

The brewery was described as a "group of 2- and 3-storey rubble buildings" with a "3-storey brewhouse with an octagonal-section, red-and-white-brick chimney", with all the buildings having pantiled roofs.

Most of the brewery has been demolished, though the entrance to the courtyard remains.


We only have one image related to D. S. Ireland, and would welcome any other information or images related to his business.

Map of 1893 showing the Argyle Brewery
© National Library of Scotland, 2015

Other Sources of information

Books and periodicals

Gibb, F. The brewers and breweries of Fife. Stirling: Lomax Press, 2012.