Business: Thomson and Garbois
The Ruthvenbank Brewery was established by the partnership of Thomson & Garbois in 1833, who leased what had possibly been the Ruthvenbank Distillery, which had been established by J. Mailer & Co in around 1821.
In 1838 the partnership executed a trust disposition in favour of Peter Scott, a local banker, and Peter Clerk, a local writer. The business was then put under the management of the former brewery clerk, George Wilson.
The lease of the brewery, along with the brewing utensils, was offered for sale in 1838, and again in 1841, when it was referred to as the Auchterarder Brewery, and was being operated by Thomsons & Co. Robert Mailer, who later operated at the nearby Feus Brewery, was recorded as living at Ruthvenbank in 1841.
Sadly we do not have a picture of the Ruthvenbank Brewery. Please contact us if you have one!
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
Anon. Lease of brewery and brewery utensils, for sale. Perthshire Courier, 30th August, 1838