Broad Street Brewery
Business: James Burden
The Broad Street Brewery was in operation from at least 1825, when it was run by James Burden and his brother William, sons of Peter Burden of the Stirling Brewery. By 1861 it was in the hands of Robert McNicol, James Burden's son-in-law, and it was then sold to George Walker Duncan of Tullibody around 1893. In 1895 James Duncan, an aerated water manufacturer, took on the tenancy of the premises prior to moving to a purpose-built manufactory in Drip Road.
The building that housed the Broad Street Brewery is believed to have dated from 1529, and the windows on the roof were carved with the following inscription:
Benedicam Dominum omni tempore Deo gloria
By the end of the nineteenth century it had become somewhat dilapidated and part of the building collapsed in 1904. It was acquired shortly after by the Town of Stirling and was eventually redeveloped as part of a council housing complex in the 1950s.
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
Burns, E. Ale in Stirling: a celebration. Stirling: Jamieson & Munro, 2004.