Business: Sacell Brewery Company
The Sacell Brewery in King Street, which was also known as the Saucel Brewery, was first owned by Adam Pattison. It then passed through the hands of a number of owners: James Harvey and his partners Robert Cowan, Peter Murdoch, James Warroch, James Hopkirk and James Gordon (until 1801); James Chep & Co (1801-1820s); and finally the Sacell Brewery Company (1829s-1900s).
The brewery was described in the 1960s as "a 3-storey, 13-bay block, probably originally maltings, with 2 kilns". The buildings were eventually used as bonded warehouses by the Distillers Company Ltd, and as an office block by Millen Brothers, shipbuilders.
Other Sources of information
Canmore has a number of records relating to the Sacell Brewery. Last accessed 19th July 2016.
Books and periodicals
Clark, S. Brewing and breweries in Paisley. Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter, 15, 1989, pp.12-13.
Gibb, F. The brewers and breweries of Ayrshire, Buteshire and Renfrewshire. Stirling: Lomax Press, 2013.
Hume, J. R. The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 1: The Lowlands and Borders. London: B. T. Batsford, 1976.