Bathgate Brewery (Old)
Business: Thomas Robertson
The Bathgate Brewery was located in Chapel Lane, now Mansefield Street. The brewery was established in a former tanworks and was described in the Ordnance Survey Name Book as "a large mass of buildings erected in 1828, consisting of malt lofts, coppers, etc. It manufactures about 1,000 gallons of ale weekly and is situated at the north end of Chapel Lane".
John Pearson & Co established the brewery and ran it from 1837 to 1838, when they were declared bankrupt.
Mr M. Wallace bought the complex in the 1840s for £600, and it was run by his son John until it was put up for sale again in 1856 with "steam engine, and whole fixtures and apparatus" and "abundant water peculiarly adapted for fine ales".
Thomas Robertson then acquired the brewery and ran it from 1856 to 1866, when he moved to new premises in Engine Street, and advertised the equipment at the old brewery for sale.
The buildings were sold to Donald Fraser of Leith, who established the West Lothian Flint Glassworks on the site between 1866 and 1867.
Other Sources of information
Books and periodicals
Sprightly, S. Rambles round Bathgate: Ramble XXII - Buildings. The West Lothian Courier, 17th August, 1878.