Crown Brewery

Business: Gillespie, Sons and Co (Brewers) Ltd

Location: Dumbarton

Type: Brewery

This brewery was originally known as the Dumbarton Brewery, which had been rebuilt in the 1850s following a severe fire which destroyed many of the buildings.

It was acquired by Alexander Gillespie from the estate of James Blair Risk around 1880.

It subsequently passed through a number of companies associated with the Gillespie name - Gillespie, Sons & Co, Gillespie, Sons & Co Ltd, and Gillespie, Sons & Co (Brewers) Ltd - adopting the name Crown Brewery in the 1910s

Brewing came to an end in the 1950s, when Gillespie, Sons & Co (Brewers) Ltd went into liquidation.

Map of 1937 showing the layout of the Crown Brewery
© National Library of Scotland, 2015

Active: 1910s - 1950s

Address: Brewery Lane

Status: Demolished

Current Use: Car parking

Then

Sadly we do not have a picture of the Crown Brewery. Please contact us if you have one!

Now

The site has since been cleared, and is now used for car parking.

Images


Other Sources of information

Books and Periodicals

Kane, D. and McMaster, C. Gillespie, Sons & Co Ltd. Brewery History, 40, 1984, pp.8-10.

Logan, J. C. The Dumbarton Glassworks Company: a study in entrepreneurship. Business History, 14(1), 1972, pp.61-81.